Inspired by Adventure
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A play by post 5E DnD campaign created and played by fans of The Adventure Zone.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward

Go down 
+2
downwarddawn
Mikegld561
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Fate
Admin
Fate

Character sheet
Name:
Hit Points:
Hit PointsCurrentCurrentTotalTotal
Hit PointsHit Points
Temporary Hit PointsTemporary Hit PointsN/A

Inspiration: No

Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 5:34 pm

The member 'galaxysedge' has done the following action : Dices roll

'd20' : 7
Back to top Go down
https://inspiredbyadventure.forumotion.com
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Name: Dungeon Master
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points99999999

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 2:12 am

[Eledriar's Dexterity saving roll of 7 + 3 is... - DM]

Eledriar, you extend your hand to catch your enchanted weapon, hoping to catch it by the handle and not get cut or stuck. It flips end over end, and as it gets closer you are filled with a swelling sense of concern and fear... and then, your vision flashes to a scene in a strange looking place, lined with steel and glass...

A human man holds a delirious dwarven male in his arms, and sings softly to him... "Oh shiiiiiiit, sweet fliiiiips..."

Eledriar, your vision flashes again, and you see your dancing blade nearly two feet from your hand, and can feel its magic radiating an uncomfortable heat as it closes distance. You are driven by instinct and impulse once again, retracting your hand and instead squat down. You lift your arms into the air, and push yourself up with your legs, as hard as you can to leap up and backflip.

As your right boot raises, the toe of the boot makes contact with the pommel of Jeremy the Dancing Blade, sending the blade perfectly skyward. You untuck from your flip and as you land, you trip on a divot but manage to stabilize yourself. As you do, your eyes are drawn upward: you see the Young Green Dragon rise up on its hindlegs, very hurt and fearful. Its wings are now outstretched and slowly flapping, ready to fly it away to safety.
Back to top Go down
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 am

A shining pink light floats majestically overhead, as the dragon hovers above the ground. Your rapier, Jeremy, slowly turns itself in the air, pointing its blade tip towards the weak spot in the dragon's neck flank. The blade screams out, for Eledriar to hear:

Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 Rapier10
Jeremy: <screaming> "JEEEEEEEEERRREEEEEEEEEMMMIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

The party, the militia, and the archmage watch as an enchanted, floating weapon whizzes through the air and buries itself into the dragon's body. You all hear the dragon roar in terror, not quite drowning out the sickening crackles and shearing of bone and flesh. With a heavy tremor, the Young Green Dragon's body falls to the ground, sending grass and dust flying outward. It lays motionless at the party's feet, no respiratory effort and some slight muscle twitching, blood still dripping out of its wounds.

[The Young Green Dragon is defeated. Prepare to level up to four!!!- DM]
Back to top Go down
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 2:53 am

The watching militia soldiers all cheer wildly, waving their arms and clapping, extremely impressed by the battle they witnessed. The archmage Mar'i raises his arms, and the crowd is silenced again. With a pained smile on his face, he speaks to the soldiers:

Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 Genasi10
Mar'i: "What a fantastic display of teamwork and skill! You saw the tactics employed, but more than anything, this group fought with fearless commitment despite overwhelming odds! Return home, and reflect on what you've witnessed today! We'll begin training again tomorrow morning."

The soldiers line up and march into the Wood of Sharp Teeth, following the path leading back to the main road. When the last militia man disappears into the forest, the archmage walks into the field to address the party. His face appears pained but content, and you note his left hand rubbing his left hip in a circular motion.

Mar'i: "That was... perfect. Great performance, and truly, for such young beings you have such powerful weapons at your disposal. The way you fought, however... I believe those men and women learned something special today, and maybe they'll take their defense of Scornubel more seriously in the dark days to come."

He looks out at the dead dragon, then back to you all. Green smoke begin to rise from the beast's body as its flesh and bones fade away, and in a matter of moments, the dragon disappears from the field. Jeremy the Dancing Blade remains on the ground where the dragon once lay, still pulsing with pink, arcane energy. Mar'i Olopiz stops rubbing his hip, and bows in reverence to the four of you.

"Whatever I can do to help you, ask it, and if it is within my power, I will provide."
Back to top Go down
Ezythyr Coalthane

Ezythyr Coalthane

Character sheet
Name: Ezythyr Coalthane
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points3838
Temporary Hit PointsTemporary Hit Points14

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 am

Ezythyr, adrenaline still rushing from the battle, stares at the spot where the beast's body lay. "Where'd the bones go?" He asks incredulously.
Back to top Go down
downwarddawn

downwarddawn

Character sheet
Name: Cordial Deadheart
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points2736

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 5:56 am

Cordial had begun to rush forward toward the dragon as soon as it was clear the beast had been struck down. While she knew logically it had not been a real, living creature, she had felt a bond with it when she had first seen it and now it pained her that she had contributed to its demise. Before she could reach the fallen dragon however, it was gone, and she faltered in her steps and then turned around in disbelief as she heard Ezythyr's callous question.

She glared at Ezythyr and felt her face flush with heat. She spoke sharply and with a growl in her tone asked, "what did you say?"
Back to top Go down
Ezythyr Coalthane

Ezythyr Coalthane

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points3838

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 am

Ezythyr gives her a confused look. "The beast's body just evaporated. I'm askin' why. Are ye okay, lass?"
Back to top Go down
downwarddawn

downwarddawn

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points2736

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 9:44 am

Cordial is taken aback by the dwarf's seemingly earnest confusion. 'He wanted her bones', she reminds herself and charges forward with her angry, accusatory tone. Besides, her ire was piqued and there was no backing down at this moment.

"That beautiful beast was so much more than just what her bones were worth to you," she hisses at him, reaching for her staff of the python, but Monty hadn't yet returned to her.
Back to top Go down
Ezythyr Coalthane

Ezythyr Coalthane

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points3838

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 9:56 am

Ezythyr holds his hands up, trying to calm Cordial. "Easy, lass. I meant no disrespect. I was merely curious about why it disappeared." He sighs. "I think it's time we had a talk. Will ye join me for a calm conversation?" He walks away from the group and turns back, waiting for Cordial to follow.
Back to top Go down
downwarddawn

downwarddawn

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points2736

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Ezythyr's reaction confuses Cordial and she takes a moment to look around for Monty, her hand held still at her side where the staff should be.

It had been a misunderstanding. He hadn't known the dragon wasn't real. He was just confused about its disappearance... But he had asked about the bones in particular, and there was that comment he made before they engaged the dragon, something else about bones, and his uncle...? She had found Ezythyr to be companionable at first, but now she had a nagging feeling of distrust toward him.

As Monty returned, she gave him a brief, almost formal, "thank you, good work," and then tucked the staff away. Turning back to the dwarf, she narrowed her eyes and nodded slightly at him. Travelling with this group had so far been fruitful and she had initially had a positive impression of them all. She wanted to keep working with them, and to do so, she would need to sort things out somehow with the dwarf.

She walked silently over to join Ezythyr.
Back to top Go down
Ezythyr Coalthane

Ezythyr Coalthane

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points3838

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 3:27 pm

OOC: Our conversation will be posted here: https://inspiredbyadventure.forumotion.com/t53-a-conversation-about-life-and-death#871

Please feel free to continue. Smile
Back to top Go down
downwarddawn

downwarddawn

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points2736

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 10:39 am

Returning to the group, Cordial easily redirects her thoughts away her conversation with Ezythyr as soon as she has decided to do so; she will return to this later. For the time being, she is beyond curious about the dragon. She smiles as she approaches Mar'i.

"Please, I would like to know all about your beast. Where did she come from? Where has she gone?"
Cordial peppers Mar'i with questions.

Last edited by downwarddawn on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
Back to top Go down
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Mar’i: ”Ah, a memory of adventures long ago, with Krusk and company. In our travels across this fair world, a particularly naughty green wyrm in the Northwest regions had seen fit to terrorize a shepherd's prize flock of cows, and our gang of young do-gooders were called upon to slay this dragon.

“I've done what I could to replicate for you the majesty of this beast in combat, but you truly had to be there. It took some time to wear down this dragon, but when the time came for Krusk and Thogred to deal killing blows, Sheila stopped them. Rather than destroying the beast, she combined magics with mine to soulbind her to my body... That girl was always sentimental like that, wanting us to keep memories of our greatest triumphs.”

Lifting the section of his sarong covering his hip, the archmage Mar’i Olopiz exposes to the party a rather taut, muscular blue-skinned buttock. Atop the buttock danced the tattoo-like image of the Young Green Dragon, healthily flapping its wings before settling to a sitting position. The archmage lowers his sarong again, and continues speaking to the group.

”You four demonstrated a fine dragon battle for my students, and also helped me revisit a favored moment in my long life, in my time with Fabulous Four. The dragon will live as long as I draw breath... but the throttling you gave it means we both will need a nice nap soon.”
Back to top Go down
Ezythyr Coalthane

Ezythyr Coalthane

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points3838

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Ezythyr manages to catch up, just in time to see the tattoo. "So the beast is part o' ye? That's brilliant! I'd never 'ave thought it could be done!"
Back to top Go down
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Mar’i: ”I do have other tattoos... <laughs nervously> But those are other memories... that, well... do not merit any further discussion... I forget, did you all mention why you're in this part of the world? Looking for wealth, magical power, the classic trappings of any great adventure?”
Back to top Go down
Ezythyr Coalthane

Ezythyr Coalthane

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points3838

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 5:15 pm

"We're lookin' for a man by the name o' Krusk." He digs in his pockets and pulls out the potion. "Also to deliver this potion." He shakes it a bit. "But it's poisoned so I'm not so sure about that."
Back to top Go down
downwarddawn

downwarddawn

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points2736

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 6:19 pm

Cordial listens intently to Mar'i's story and nods when Ezythyr mentions Krusk.

"Indeed, anything you can tell us about Krusk would be very helpful. It sounds as if you know him well," she pauses, then continues eagerly, "and Sheila... I would be interested in knowing more about her. She sounds like someone I could easily get on with." She turns her head slightly toward Ezythyr, glancing at him, then back, "I would very much like to be introduced to her at some point, if at all possible. Perhaps she could teach me some of what she knows."
Back to top Go down
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 am

Mar'i: "That half-orc rascal, the former Fabulous Four leader, Krusk the Barbarian, is--believe it or not--studying in Candlekeep, not too terribly far from here. Normally he just wanders the land, but before he asked me to train the Scornubel irregulars, he mentioned having made some breakthroughs in his artificing, and that he would be heading to Candlekeep for some critical research. As far as I know, the guy has been there since; he hardly has any time to check in on his old friend, much less that poor apprentice of his. I hear she ended up working for one of the merchant guilds.

"As for Sheila, she's... she was Krusk's wife. She was the team's 'den mother': she maintained our finances, cooked for us, and occasionally set our enemies ablaze with that wild magic of hers. Even managed to cut Thogred's were-hair and walk away unscathed. Sadly, she passed a while ago, during childbirth. Our merry band split, and Krusk hasn't been the same since."
Back to top Go down
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 3:50 am

Examining and concentrating on the potion Ezythyr is holding, the archmage reflects for a few seconds, then comments on the item.

Mar'i: "I don't advocate the use of healing potions enchanted with life-draining magicks--which is what I believe you're holding there, master dwarf--but that's exactly the concoction I'd expect one of the regional assassin guilds to mass-produce. Perfect, untraceable, violence-free contract killing... a simple yet brilliant combination. Whether you desire it or not, the delivery of that potion will assuredly result in someone's death. If you care about that sort of thing."
Back to top Go down
downwarddawn

downwarddawn

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points2736

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 5:03 am

Cordial listens intently and looks disappointed when she hears of Sheila's passing. She looks thoughtful as Mar'i addresses Ezythyr's potion, then asks "you mentioned an apprentice?"
Back to top Go down
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Mar'i: "Yes, a young drow woman... At least that's what I've heard. Krusk taught her quite a bit about artificing. At one point they traveled together, both selling arcane weapons and armor wherever they could, making money hand over fist.  Over time, Krusk became more interested in the art and not the profit, so she left to do her own thing. I'm told that she joined a merchant guild soon after, to make ends meet and all that.

"Can't remember her name, but I remember thinking it was an odd name for a female."
Back to top Go down
Ezythyr Coalthane

Ezythyr Coalthane

Character sheet
Hit Points:
Hit PointsHit Points3838

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 12:30 pm

"Nermalin?"
Back to top Go down
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Mar'i: "That sounds right, you must've met her somewhere... ah, the Night Market. Yes, seems like all roads lead back to Scornubel..."
Back to top Go down
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 3:38 pm

While the others converse with the archmage, Eledriar, you are drawn back to the site where the green dragon once lay. Laying there silently, you see Jeremy, glowing and pulsing now with an odd blue light, slowly but with a cadence seeming to match your heartbeat. Its voice seems to hum a bit, before breaking into your head to speak to you alone:

Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 Rapier10
Jeremy: "Hmmmmmmmmmmm... I don't know how I feel about you."
Back to top Go down
lord8track
Admin
lord8track

Character sheet
Hit Points:

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Thokk, while the dwarf and tiefling talk to the blue person and the half-elf walks away to... talk to her magic weapon on the ground... you find yourself wandering the field. With the arcane barrier fading, you have a clearer view of the surrounding greens. Seeing birds glide about and hearing the chittering of small squirrels and rabbits as they dash to and fro, it leaves you feeling like the Wood of Sharp Teeth isn't as bad a place as the name would imply.

You walk toward the sidelines where the militia's benches were set up, admiring the leathercraft used to cover them, when you notice a long package wrapped rather fancily with brown paper. The covering seems secured with twine, and attached to the twine is a small note. Of course you open the note and read it:

"I meant to give this to you earlier, but I didn't want to seem too forward. Plus, you farted wicked loud and that freaked me out. Everyone does it, so no biggie. Just wanted to say thanks again for avenging my horse, and sorry for ruining your armor. Really hope to see you at the Red Hook, whenever you're around these parts again.

XOXO, Kayti

P.S. Hope I got the size right."

The package, when you pick it up, feels pretty heavy yet balanced. It's probably a sword?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward   Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward - Page 12 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter 3: Stabbin' Westward
Page 12 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next